CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 30, 2015

Joy comes in the morning

After mom came home from the hospital the last time, she was put under hospice care. It was around this time during mom's last days that I took the night shift one night to make sure all was well. It was the first all nighter I had pulled since college. And I had no test the next day so instead of cramming material in my brain with tons of caffeine I turned to study God's Word. It was some of the most beautiful six hours of my life. I read through most of The Psalms, Proverbs, and Job and then wherever the book fell open. The Lord himself was keeping me company and whispering sweet words of love and peace to me while I was watching my mom pass from one life to the next. It was a great moment of reassurance and there has never been another moment in my life much like that. 

I remember camping out on Psalm 30 for a while, being filled with such a great promise and hope for tomorrow...not just, tomorrow as in when the sun would rise, but the new tomorrow when the restoration to life would be forever granted. I also remember thinking back to a season in my life in college when I struggled with an eating disorder and praising God that he had indeed "brought my soul up from Sheol" (that's another story -or ten - for another day...) and that my life had been restored. While I was sitting there watching my mom DIE, I was so caught up in the wonderful love and mercy of the LORD that I was overflowing with praises and song-not mourning!!!!!!! The spirit was moving and there was so much joy! What great favor The Lord places on His children in time of their great need!!

I've been following a two-year Bible reading plan and was brought to tears of joy and remembrance when I came across Psalm 30 in today's reading and it was so timely. Joy certainly does come in the morning! O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever. 


I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit. Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” By your favor, O Lord, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed. To you, O Lord, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: “What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me! O Lord, be my helper!” You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever! (Psalm 30:1-12 ESV)

0 comments:

Post a Comment