CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 9, 2012

Birthdays, Cupcakes, and Cookies-OH MY!

I can't believe my little sugar bag (well, my first one at least) will be 2 tomorrow.  I think I've got a big ol' blur in memory when I think of the last 2 years - can I get a rewind and slo-mo replay??  She is so stinking cute, incredibly clever, outrageously curious, spastically energetic, and absolutely fearless.  She has brought joy, laughter, excitement, and gray hairs to our lives.  She certainly keeps us on our toes, and now serves as a super big sister, learning how to do everything mommy and daddy do to help baby.  She's singing her ABCs and counting, singing songs, praying without prompting, and of course still eating well, if you couldn't tell.  Happy Birthday Doodle Bug!

I've quickly learned that a summer birthday is a hard thing. There's no "birthday table" at school to sit at and it seems everyone is always so busy in the summer to host a worthwhile party.  We decided this year to not throw a "friend party" for Miriam for a few reasons (schedule, money, and we didn't have a theme....), but instead to do a small family gathering for lunch and cake/presents after Lydia's baptism (since all of the family would already be together).  Even with that, things came up and folks were busy, so it turned out to be a small party, but fun was had none the less.  Here is M filled with excitement to play with her toys she just opened...or maybe she's just wanting us to go ahead and stop singing so she can eat the beautiful cupcake sitting in front of her...
 And since she is going to preschool a few days this week, I thought she could be the coolest kid by bringing a homemade snack to help them celebrate her. The preschool doesn't like cupcakes because of the mess (what mess?? aren't they consumed in just one bite so there isn't any mess??), and since I've been making them for a living these days, I was distressed as to what to bring. Then I had a perfect idea - cupcake COOKIES! So I spent a few quiet moments looking on pinterest for ideas, recipes, etc and came across this SUPER recipe that is quick, good, and easy!
I made the dough on Saturday at 4 pm, then put it in the fridge until Sunday morning. Then M and I cut out the shapes with the less than .50c cutter I got at HL.  We baked them, went to church, got Lydia baptized, ate lunch, opened presents, ate cupcakes, then came back home to naked boring cookies. While I still churned ideas for decorating I finally took the plunge with this icing recipe (but used vanilla instead of almond extract).
naked, but yummy, from scratch sugar cookies

Topped the cupcake with white frosting and some jimmies - my new favorite go to cupcake item!

Thought I grabbed the pink food coloring but got purple instead.  So, purple cupcake liners it is!

The finished product! Fancy, eh?
They dried over night and the icing hardened and didn't look half bad this morning.   They certainly didn't look store bought either.  Ha. I'm pretty sure her friends still enjoyed them!! Maybe I'll keep making cookies too - but I'll definitely need some practice and mercy with the decorating!

0 comments:

Post a Comment