CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 3, 2010

The best holiday treat yet!

A few weeks back, our friends The Whites discovered that Nestle TollHouse had a limited edition package of place and back cookies called "Oatmeal Scotchies."  Now, since I've had Miriam, I haven't been the cook/baker that I used to be, so place and bakes are my game!  The first time I tried these they were amazing and hit my sweet spot, especially since I can't eat much chocolate or other fruity things for dessert (thanks to the Miriam diet):).  Unfortunately, there are no more packages of place and bakes to be found anywhere around town, so I took my never fail Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie recipe that I perfected all during the time mom was at home with Hospice (they were my sister's favorite cookie, so it was always a great way to cheer her up)....and I changed the chocolate chips for butterscotch chips.  I grabbed my kitchen aid stand mixer that has been collecting dust for the past 5 months and went to town. The result - something WAY better than TollHouse place and bakes. Impress all of your friends this holiday with something NOT chocolate, NOT peanut butter, NOT peppermint, and just plain different - and healthy (that's what the oatmeal is for, right?)
At the request of a friend, here's my famous recipe for Oatmeal ________ (chocolate chip, scotchies, cranberry/almond or walnut, white chocolate....) Cookies
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Cream well: 1/2 c white sugar, 1 c packed brown sugar, 2 sticks of softened butter.
Add and mix well: 2 eggs, one at a time, then 1-2 tsp of vanilla
In a separate bowl, Mix: 1.5 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda....add this dry mix to the creamed mix
Stir in: 1-3 c quick oats, and a bag of chips of your choice. Today, I used the FoodLion brand butterscotches. Most of the time, I use the off brand semi-sweet chips for the chocolate cookies.
Use a cookie scooper to make even sized balls, and place on ungreased baking sheet (or sheet with parchment paper) about an inch a part.
Bake for 12 minutes and eat a lot of them right out of the oven.  Then cool the rest on a rack. :)
(crazy that I just typed that recipe out by memory!)
Enjoy! Maybe you'll have a baking partner like mine...she was so fun to bake with today!


0 comments:

Post a Comment