CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"I see the ocean!"

Those were the words out of mom's mouth that meant our hours and hours of driving were finally coming to an end and our destination had been reached - the beach. We spent countless summers as I was growing up at Surfside Beach and Garden City Beach. Then after my sister went to college, we were lucky to make it at all. But, my grandparents made it a bit easier by allowing us to use their beach house (in North Myrtle).

So, that's where we are now. The first week long vacation since the honeymoon 2.5 years ago! Jeremy and I arrived on Monday afternoon - and it took until today (Tuesday) to hear "I see the ocean!" It's been ridiculously cold and windy the past two days. We haven't done really much of anything - which would be alright...except I'd really love to be doing that "nothing" on the beach, reading mindless Nicholas Sparks novels, and getting a tan. However, we've been forced to really be creative with our time.

Yesterday, we shopped at the discount golf store and talked to the owner about how the upcoming Atlantic Beach Bike Rally was going to be (for those that don't know, Harley week ended on Sunday before we came - Atlantic Beach Bike Rally is for the African-American bikers and their "babes") In the past years, Myrtle Beach has been trying to stop the week, but they obviously can't put a ban on it....so they're making really really strict laws, and closing up shops -it's actually kind of wild...but this is the week we've always come down to the beach, so it doesn't bother us. In fact, on Saturday, we'll celebrate the third anniversary of our engagement - how sweet!:)

Today, we slept in - until 8:45 AM!!!!! Got bagels at my favorite - Goldberg Bagels in the shopping center right above the house. Then, we split up the afternoon. The first part we went antique/consignment/thrift store shopping. Unfortunately, we weren't too successful - although I did find a boppy pillow for $8 in "noah's ark" fabric...but just didn't buy it. Then, the latter part of the afternoon was spent in downtown Myrtle, stopping at Sonic for a bit of Happy Hour specials, then, onto The Market Common - the newest section of this area that's an all-inclusive living square - filled with ritzy shoppes, dining, college, park, grocery store, and gas station. We did some looking, but no shopping.
Then we headed to Miyabi's Japanese Steakhouse for dinner. We have been saving up our $$ for this dinner and it was SOOO worth it! We sat with an older couple who had connections in Loris, Wilmington, Charlottesville, and even Rock Hill!! They were so sweet. The other family we were with had their 3 year old birthday boy with them. We learned that they eat at a Japanese steakhouse every Thanksgiving as well as his birthday. I thought to myself "I wonder if they sing "fa ra ra ra ra"....
Now, we're home, watching CABLE and reading and writing. I almost don't know what to do with myself!

Today marks month 3 of mom's passing. Some moments, it feels like an eternity, others it seems as it if never happened! I was telling Jeremy the other day that it typically comes at a random time and all of the sudden I freak out - "oh my gosh, I don't have a mom, what am I supposed to do? I can't do this without a mom!!!" It's almost like a panic attack - and then my fears are subsided and I calm down. Weird, I know....

We're waiting on Sarah Elizabeth to join us in this world. I can't wait to hold her and love on her and to see her grow and to teach her about her Nana. I know she'll get some good lessons from her mom and from Grace, but I'm "Aunt Manni" - by far the coolest aunt on the planet (you can ask Grace to confirm that)! It could be any moment now....so until then, I'll just enjoy my vacation and hope to see the ocean in my bathing suit and sunscreen tomorrow -

0 comments:

Post a Comment